Thread: Flop Bet Sizing
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Flop Bet Sizing

I'd like to open a discussion on optimal flop bet sizing. I think there are three schools of thought on the subject. For now, assume I'm referring to continuation bets, although I think we could have a similar discussion about bet sizing for flop leads.

School 1: Bets should be a consistent percentage of the pot on the flop so you give nothing away about your hand. This percentage can vary depending on the looseness of the table, but you bet all hands and all flops the same way.

School 2: Bet size varies with the flop texture, stack sizes of players, and position, but does not depend on your holdings. For example, you might bet 95% of the pot on a drawy board, and 60% of the pot on a dry board.

School 3: No effort is made to disguise your holdings. You bet based on your hand and what you're trying to accomplish (protect your hand, betting for value, bluffing etc.) You keep from becoming too obvious by mixing up your play, i.e. occasionally betting like your betting for value when you are bluffing, etc.

I started out in school 1, and now I think school 2 is superior. Is there anyone here that is a proponent of school 3. Are there any other possibilities?

I know that the general online consensus is that preflop a set bet size is optimal, but there seems to different opinions about flop bets. What do you guys think?

It would be interesting to know if anyone in school 1 or 2 moves into school 3 when it comes to flop raise sizing and turn betting.