View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Small Stakes Hold\'em (Skalnsky, Miller & co)

[ QUOTE ]
If I look now at the book DS explains that a low suited pocket card is very well playable on middle to late position.

He might be right, but one thing isn't said at this place; you get a very tough decision after the flop with cards like that. Per se, you've got pocket 9h/6h and the flop hits 9s/7d/3h... you've got top pair with no flush draw and just a small chance for straight.. and 2 outs for a set or quad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed will be one of the first to say that he has issues with hand charts, and actually has said so on his site, since people look at them and just mimic what is in the chart.

SSHE has charts for loose games and tight games, but in reality, there should be 10 charts, 15 charts, whatever....

Situations always change when you are playing and 2 tables are never exactly the same. Because of this, the main premise of what SSHE tries to teach is WHY you should play a hand a certain way. I have had several people ask me about SSHE and one of the first things I always tell them is that they can't expect to just read the book and apply the charts blindly and expect to win. A player needs to understand the concepts behind which the charts were created. Overall a table may have the exact same composition of players, but certain hands will play differently based on your relative position to certain players at the table.

SSHE has been the micro and small stakes bible for so long, yet the games have changed. Some points n the book do not apply as much as they used to, but there is still tons of great info and will continue to be the low limit bible for quite some time still.

Live games still play right into this books strengths. I typically play 6/12-20/40 and this book very much applies to these games. One last thing I will add....If you do no see why at loose tables, you should be opening up you starting hand requirements, you really need to take a step back and re-evaluate the game of poker, how well you really understand it, and exactly where/who the money comes from.