View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Important to concentrate on one particular game to improve?

Here's my take from experience - learning the different games, you will learn alot more about the subtleties of poker quickly. Each game emphasizes a slightly different skill set to be good at, and developing all of those skills will make you a complete player.

The downside is that its much slower to develop your initial roll - you'll be constantly learning new games and you simply won't make as much money as fast because of this. However, you should be able to overcome this by having a different skill set - I can always tell at a NLHE table who has played alot of PLO...they just play certain hands differently than purebred NLers.

From an academic perspective, its fun to always be tackling a new game - you can also find the variety refreshing (do I want to play 7 card stud hi/lo today, or maybe some pot limit omaha)...and as an extension of that, you can be fish-hunting at more tables.

Personally I enjoyed learning poker in a multidisciplinary fashion, I wouldn't change anything about that.