View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: eagles -7 over lions?

[ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think that the phrase "must win" is applicable and can be used properly. I do not think that the Eagles or the Saints were in must win situations last week. The Eagles were at home on Monday night and coming off a disappointing loss, so I expected them to be fired up but not in desperation mode. The saints lost a game they were supposed to lose and then went on the road against an NFC rival they were expected to win.

Now the Eagles are facing an 0-3 start which could bury them and the Saints could also be 0-3 on a MNF game after making the playoffs a year ago. In football, because they are so few games, every week is magnified. 0-2 is much better than 0-3 in terms of pysche and the media.

I feel that when a competitive team is faced with a must win situation they win more often than not. You mentioned Buffalo is also in a must win. I disagree. They did not have high expectations this year and no one would have been shocked if you said in Week 1 they would be 0-3. Denver, @Pitt and @NWE is a tough schedule, especially for an inexperienced team. They are most definetly not in a must win. In fact, this week I think only PHI and NO could even be considered as having must wins. NYG and STL are the only other 0-2 teams who might have been considered but since they are playing away. Every other team could absorb a loss and not be totally devestated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking? What NFL team is not competitive? 0-2 is a big deal as only 13 teams have made the playoffs after going 0-2. Yes the Eagles were that team once. But this is a league where every game is a "must win". This whole needing to win more this week than another is useless analysis. These are all competitive professional athletes who want to win every single game they play in.

Have you looked at the match-ups at all in this game or just basing everything off the fact they should win because they need to more? The Eagles are beaten up on the defense and offense side of the ball. Mcnabb will not be healthy all year from his knee and there is no telling how bad Westbrook's knee sprain will affect his play coming off a short week. Mcnabb will continue to have accuracy problems throwing the ball due to his knee not being healthy.

Lions getting points is a better play than the Eagles in this game based on Match-ups due to injuries.