View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Dim sum and other Cantonese food

[ QUOTE ]
I've had frog legs as well (just trimmed and stir fried) no clue what the chinese name is. Never really liked shark's fin dumplings.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned a couple times over, although sticky rice was only brought up once. I'm bored so might as well post some, gonna be a slight hijack as most of this isn't cantonese.

Ma Po Doufu (think the english is the same) Sichuanese

Garcia's comments have been great so far so I'll let him elaborate if he wants.

This is one of my favorite sichuan dishes, basically tofu and beef or pork simmered in a spicy sauce. Done right it should beg for some rice to cut through the rich flavor and aggressive spice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] mapo dofu. For those who make it at home, check out my recipe, any revisions or adjustments I should be making? (I learned from my Chinese ex-gf, this isn't from a cookbook or something.)

5 minced garlic cloves
2 tbs or so minced ginger
1/2lb to 1lb ground pork (depends on how porky you want it)
Soy Sauce / Sesame Oil
At least 2 tofu packages (medium) cubed
2 bunch scallions chopped
2 tbs cornstarch (maybe more)
Black Bean Hot Sauce - 5 tbs or to taste (can subsittue Har Har Sauce + fermented black beans)
Small bunch cilantro (totally optional, just my preference)

Saute garlic and ginger in soy sauce / oil before browning, add pork saute til browned about 3-5 minutes
Reduce heat, add tofu to the pork mixture, add tbs each of soy sauce, sesame oil (could add chili oil also even rice vinegar) and 5 tbs Black Bean Hot Sauce
Mix tofu and pork until tofu has lost a bit of water - several minutes
Mix cornstarch or other thickening agent w couple tbs water, slowly stir in to mixture - several minutes
Top with fresh scallions (reserve half) mix, continue to let simmer for 5 minutes or so.
Top with rest of scallions and cilantro
Serves 4

-Al