View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Read this before starting a \"Who Do I pick in Survivor\" Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ok remind me again why inter division is a bad thing when it's the pats at home ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pats at home against the Bills might be worth breaking the interdivision rule for. (NE is 11-1 against BUF since Brady became the starter)

[/ QUOTE ]
I still don't understand the interdivisional rule. Is there evidence that upsets happen more often in divisional games or did someone just pull this rule out of their ass? Serious question.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Football Outsiders's Aaron (who I e-mailed the question to a few days ago), no it doesn't matter. If New England played Buffalo at home this week or some team that was Buffalo's clone but wasn't in the AFC East the outcome would not be likely to be different just because one is/isn't in the AFC East.

So according to FO's data, rule 5 is worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I thought. Kind of makes me wonder if any of these rules have any legitimacy. Stuff like home field advantage is supposed to be factored into the spread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I still think rules 1-2,4, and 6 are still good. (although 1 and 4 are basically the same thing)

Another fact is that according to the data I got from FO, the home team will score 2.85 more points than if they were away, showing that Vegas is right to give the home team -3 right away.