View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Poker After Dark thread (Week of 9/17 - Poker At Its Best)

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't understand why Gus had thought he was beat by only two hands. Geeze, Any overpair? 78s? Any Ax/over 8? Seemed what he was trying to say was he had QQ and couldn't beat AA or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I didn't really understand this either, and obviously neither did Daniel. My understanding was the same as yours - that he only put Daniel on Aces or Kings in terms of hands that beat him, and every other hand Daniel could have he beats. Which I didn't get his thought process here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming that Daniel would raise preflop with overpairs smaller than AA, be gets a better sense of his opponents' ranges when overcards come, but has been known to trap by limping with AA and maybe KK on the button. I'd also guess that Gus thinks DN plays a flopped set differently (checking and giving a free card, most likely), so he was really only worried about AA and 87, or perhaps AA/KK if he thinks DN would never just open-limp on the button with mid-suited connectors at that point in the match.

Piecing together his comments, that would explain why he was worried about only two hands, since there's no flush draw out there. To Hansen's credit, it seemed like AA was always in his range of hands that he assigned to DN. Showing that ace really decreased the possibility of him calling because now he could rule out a semi-bluff with a hand like T9. maybe DN thought Gus was thinking about it with a hand like TT or 99 and he idea was to get him to think he has A8.

Keep in mind that DN is still a bit ticked about that KJ vs QQ hand. Gus is wondering if DN has something or is making a frustrated stand with a hand like K8 or 98. He could rule out top pair with a backdoor flush or straight draw because he has the 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and DN showed him a card which didn't match the suit of any cards on the board and can't make a backdoor sraight.