View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 06:04 AM

Default FLO8 - Pre-flop play from Blinds

Both situations full ring, in a basically TAG game with 2 1/2 poor 'value' players. Most opponents are somewhat loose (especially on post-flop), somewhat passive; expecting their "Basic Strategy" to see them through.

Situation 1

Maniac UTG limps, TAG player late middle positon raises :

BB has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

In the game the BB chose to 3-bet it, which seems a poor choice with a great drawing hand.

On a flop of KQ5, the BB check-ed and then chose to revenge 3-bet on the flop (TAG player had AA2x), letting maniac 4 bet, and finally show down a great Hi hand (2 pair on flop, str8 on river; no Lo possible).

Seems to me, that smooth calling is superior, happy to keep pot small on draw, and seeing if the Maniac limp/3bets or just calls.

1) UTG Maniac has shown weakness by limping, so might fold pre-flop

2) Raising building the pot, makes Maniacs fault of betting too much and not folding with any kind of a hand, closer to correct play

3) TAG player knows the Maniac, might 3 bet it; so wouldn't re-open the betting without a real hand.

Am I missing something?

Situation 2

TAG player open raises (3 seats off the button), a tricky rather loose-aggressive player in BB. It folds to SB holding A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

In the game the SB smooth called, flopped Nut Lo draw with counterfeit protection + A-hi non-nut Flush draw on paired board. Played passively on flop and then proceeded to lose the maximum, against the BB who flopped an unlikely fullhouse with a trash hand.

In this case, it seems the SB is better to re-raise.

1) Struggles for iniative HU, against TAG opponent; showing strength will help read responses and might scoop the pot

2) Cuts the implied odds of tricky loose-aggressive opponent who has position on SB

3) Charges the TAG more to see flop, might easily have raised with A3sxx, or A45xs; or even be raising deceptively with a good Hi hand.

Am I missing something?