View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Bet sizing question

Speaking for myself, bet sizing is obviously important, but I don't spend a lot of time working on the math but rather what I'm trying to accomplish and how it works with my style.

For example, when I make a RR from the blinds, I'll generally make it a little more than a pot sized since I'll have to play OOP if called. I'll do this when I'm restealing light as well as when I'm reraising a legit hand for value. To me, at least, it's far too complex to sort out the various EVs of various holdings and their raise sizes - and it's complicated further once you take the playability of certain hands into account.

I'm still trying to get the most EV by making these raises, but I'm more looking at the medium-term. I think it's wrong to view each hand in a vaccuum and evaluate the EV of each particular bet/raise. Some raise sizes are clearly suboptimal individually, no question.

Also, there are psychological and image aspects that bets or raises can have which wreak havoc on the math sometimes. For example, we've all been in spots facing a river bet where we fold to a "suspiciously" small bet, but would have called a larger sized bet... so it's not always a simple curve between EV and raise/bet amounts.