Thread: rental cars
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: rental cars

Only read the first couple replies, so in effect, Grunching.

I used to work for Budget several years ago and I have rented cars literally HUNDREDS of times.

Most cars come with at least the most basic insurance to make them legal on the road. These are often high deductible/low liability coverage. Otherwise the jockey's wouldn't be able to move the cars from location to location. Varies by jurisdiction. If the counter guy gives you a problem (they get bonuses for selling coverage since it's basically free money for the company) tell him it's covered by your credit card.

Many (gold+) credit cards cover insurance with zero or very low deductible and better liability coverage. Check with your credit card! If you rent frequently it's almost certainly worth getting a card that will cover you. These cards generally do not cover SUV's or luxury cars. Some don't cover second drivers. Check with your credit card!!

Budget is owned by the same company as Avis and in most places they share the same fleet.

However, there are differences between "top tier" companies and the secondary (cheap) companies. Enterprise/Dollar/Thrifty cars often have a lot more miles. They often do not have as many options (electronic door looks, electronic windows, cruise control).

Of the "cheap" companies, Enterprise usually have their counter right at the airport with the more expensive companies (Hertz, Avis). Thrifty and Dollar are usually off site and often need a shuttle. If you're pressed for time this can be a problem.