View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: PPA Washington Fly-In October 22nd thru 24th

I think that the odds of legislation that will really improve our situation are very low. I do not support the IGREA. And it is not WTO compliant. WTO sanctions may cause Congress to exempt online gambling from the Wire Act, which I believe is the only legislation that Antiqua and the WTO would accept as complying with the WTO decision; or making all, horse racing, lottery, fantasy league, remote gaming illegal. Maybe a state could opt out if it outlawed all gambling. Yet, I do not think that we will see such legislation soon no matter what the situation.
IMO, for online poker players, litigation offers the best dramatic improvement to the present situation in the near future i.e. 12 months or less. The iMEGA case has procedural flaws so I think that the Kaplan case is a better opportunity for online poker players. These cases offer some hope.
But a direct indictment against some entity in the industry would be even more likely to lead to legal, unregulated online poker. So would an UIGEA regulation affecting online poker that someone could challenge in court. However, I do not think that these direct attacks on online poker will occur.
I am not critizing the efforts of all persons on the political/legislation front, but even they realize that without some pressure from the WTO situation such efforts will take years. And they may not much improve the present situation. But they might prevent that situation from becoming worse.
IMO the potential benefits of an indictment of a PPA member or director under the Wire Act or UIGEA which is directly related to the online poker industry outweighs its political cost.