Thread: rental cars
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: rental cars

Several bad experiences with Enterprise. On a business trip to Denver the serpentine belt broke on my rental... on the interstate... at 75MPH... no power steering or brakes. I managed to pull over and a Colorado state trooper told me to lock the keys in the car and call a cab for the ride to the airport. I called Enterprise (after all, they're supposed to pick me up) and they said they only pick up at residences or businesses, not roadside. They told me to lock the keys in and they'd be waiting for me at the counter. When I got there (late for my flight, with two colleagues with me) they demanded my car insurance card (my state doesn't require them). They threatened to call police and have me detained. After arguing for more than an hour, and after a call to our corporate attorney, they agreed to comp the rental.

Another time I rented from them they insisted that I had damaged the car. I had only used it to go to work in the morning while my car was in the shop. I noted on the walk-through that there were dents on the left rear quarter (before I actually rented the car). They argued that the dents "looked new" and they wanted to charge me for repair. I lost my [censored], made a scene in the office in front of other customers, and said I was going to call the cops. They said, "go ahead," so I did. When the cop arrived - a sergent - he inspected the rental form that clearly showed preexisting damage to the rear quarter and asked them pointedly if they were trying to defraud me or the insurance company. Then Enterprise gave me a ride to pick up my car.

Enterprise is dead to me now, obv.