View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: \"Fixing\" college football -- let\'s see your solution

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know US College Football super well. but I agree the current system is mediocre. My understanding is that too much money is associated to the bowls to ditch them. So maybe do both ?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a myth. There is a lot of money associated with bowls, sure. But there's even MORE money that would be associated with a playoff.

The people pushing this myth are primarily the bowl comittees, since they're desparate to hold on to their lucrative positions, and playoffs would basically make them meaningless. There are a few sycophants who see the bowl system as a good way to keep the bulk of the money flowing to the teams already at the top, locking out the lower-tier teams (for the most part). Right now, a team like Boise State has to have a perfect season to even be CONSIDERED for the big money, while nobody thinks twice about a 7-4 Florida State team getting in.

[ QUOTE ]
The break before the bowls is too long as it is. Maybe when the regular season ends, hold your playoff. Determine your national champion. Then when that is done, have your bowls and keep your tradition and $$$. So effectively you're making more money with more games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. More games = more money.