Thread: Blind play
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Blind play

[ QUOTE ]
A somewhat related question:

When you are holding a trash hand in the SB, what odds do you need to justify completing the blind? In the BB, what odds do you need to call a smallish raise that attracted multiple cold calls? I often find myself wondering what to do in these situations in online limpfests/call-athons.

To put a finer point on it-->

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I have an M of 20 in an online tournament with no reads (9 handed). I'm looking at 94o with blinds at $50/$100. 5 limpers bring the pot to $650, so I'm getting $650:$50 or 13:1. Is that enough to justify playing this garbage OOP against 7 opponents?

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Same situation, but UTG raises to $250, gets 4 callers and SB completes. I'm looking at $1600:$150 or about 10.5:1. Am I paying the cost of an orbit in hopes of hitting the stealth jackpot flop?

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] What are some guidelines I can start working with?

[/ QUOTE ]

It may seem like you are getting odds to call with just about anything in a muti-limped pot from the SB, but be careful. Hands like 94o, or even K4o, are going to bleed money. You have to hit something like that so hard it makes it to where it's impossible to get the odds to complete. Throw that stuff away.

There is a difference, however, in hands like 65o. With 94o, you're looking for - at a MINIMUM - two pair. And frankly, I'm not all that thrilled with two pair or trips. You have a big hand, but one that's frequently going to wind up second best (better two pair or a better kicker). 65o, on the other hand, adds in the possible straight draws. Those extra possibilities mean you're OK completing in a multi-limped pot. Personally, I still don't like playing 65o with less than 4 limpers. With 98o+/65s+ I'll go with 3 limpers. On one-gappers (75-T8), I play them like the bottom card is the higher of connectors (e.g. 75o plays like 54o and requires at least 4-5 limpers.)

The biggest thing to remember is that being out of position, you need to hit the flop HARD to keep going. Even top pair is likely to be a loser.

As for calling an UTG raise from the BB w/ 94o... umm... no. Just no. An UTG raise usually means a big hand. What are you hoping to flop here? 994? And your odds of hitting that flop (or 999, 449 or 444)? Far too low to make playing it worthwhile. Frankly, I throw away everything that's not big or has a reasonable chance of becoming big (suited connectors). And the "potentials" get dumped if no one else called.