View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 10:31 AM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Need help picking a major.. tell me about yours!

Mathematics. First year I took Calculus I and II, some introductory classes in physics and computer science, and some soft classes (Intro to Psych and Intro to Econ ftw!).
Sophomore year saw things like Physics II (not required but recommended), Intro to Differential Equations, Intermediate Logic, Multivariable Calculus, and Fundamentals of Analysis.

I'm in my third year now; I am taking or will be taking Analysis I and II, more DiffEq classes, Linear Algebra, probably Advanced Calculus, and so on. I need some sort of liberal arts sequence (mostly done) and seven high-level math courses in my final two years including the analysis classes, Abstract Algebra, plus a "culminating experience" that the folks here are being coy about.

[ QUOTE ]
(1) The culminating experience is a course or project to be chosen with the approval of the Mathematical Sciences department.

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked it because I was a computer science major when I came in, and then I decided CSCI sucked. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I decided I hated programming, and math was a subject that I was strong at, had a curriculum that matched the classes I had taken already pretty well, and because I found it reasonably enjoyable. (I don't admit this to strangers too often, but I got honestly excited when I first learned about Cantor's diagonal argument. Yes, I am a nerd.)

My favorite part is the flexibility I have in scheduling classes. There's a lot of opportunity to take electives. And, since three of the seven high-level math courses I have to take can be anything over a certain level, I can aim for the things that I find interesting or professors that I find agreeable.

Another nice thing: employers love math majors. They have a reputation for good logical thought, so there are a lot of jobs that are open once you get the BSci.

Now for the bad: the work is a definite beat. I made it fairly hard on myself this semester since I took one math course more than I had to, but yeah, mathematics is certainly one of the most difficult majors out there. It can also be a socially difficult major, partly because you're always working and partly because of the surplus of guys (though part of that has to do with my university specifically). The teachers aren't always the best, either; most of my professors are foreign-born and their English speaking ability varies.