View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Thank God for state intervention protecting and regulating our land

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any books/essays availiable online specifically concerning free markets and the enviroment? I mean there doesn't seem to be much rationale behind simply saying "you can bet" that free markets are better. Whereas I've read plenty of convincing arguments stating capitalism itself its by its very nature hostile and incompatable with nature and the enviroment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's also try looking at the results of capitalism and communism upon the environment. Capitalism and the USA have indeed harmed the environment. Communism and the USSR and China have harmed the environment even more greatly than have the USA and capitalism. They polluted and trashed the rivers and land even more horribly. Did you read about that yet? Maybe you could search and read more about that, also.

What this might imply (if anything), regarding the matter under discussion, is unclear. I just wouldn't like for the discussion and criticism to be one-sided, that's all [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It is worth adding that private land donations to conservation causes have taken place under capitalism. Baxter State Park was a private gift of two hundred thousand acres

"We strive to carry out the provisions of the trust, created by Percival P. Baxter, and known to the people of Maine as Baxter State Park. The Baxter State Park Authority exists to ensure that the Park "Shall forever be kept and remain in the Natural Wild State", to provide recreational opportunities to the public in accordance with trust provisions, to operate and maintain the Park for the use and enjoyment of Maine’s people. According to the donor’s wishes; the Park will be managed as a sanctuary for beasts and birds and "Katahdin in all its glory forever shall remain the mountain of the People of Maine."

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com

Other conservation gifts have occurred in the USA. Land trusts and protection forever under the law, and public access, are all possible under capitalism.

That said, I am dismayed at the extent to which our natural lands are being developed and harmed and reduced in size and scope. I don't so much blame capitalism for that, as I attribute the effect primarily to overpopulation. Too many people; it's that simple. That however is a tangential discussion.