View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 AM

Default Re: The Franzia Challenge ( cheap wines vs. good wines )

[ QUOTE ]
So,

I'm convinced that most people would be very hard pressed to tell the difference (or have a preference) between a $10 bottle of wine and a $50 bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Make this $5 to $50 and I'm with you. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking to have a blind-wine tasting, and see just what works out. Future challenges may be created for beer or vodka.

[/ QUOTE ]
This can be a real blast. One mistake I made at one of mike l.'s party was bringing one of my cheap wines at the wrong temperture. You want the playing field as level as possible.

[ QUOTE ]
Franzia box-wine will obviously be included in hopes of someone choosing it as their favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]
You might want to also try a fairly decent boxed wine such as Black Box Wine. It's in the $20 range for a three liter box (compared to $10 for 5 liters of Franzia) which should be eqivalent to about $5 per bottle. Target also has cute little 3 liter boxes for about $15 that IMO are decent (and fit perfectly on the second shelf of the fridge). Of course to fairly (i.e., blindly) compete you would have to put the boxed wine and its competion in a decanter or perhaps transfer the contents of the box to a clean bottle (this may screw it up; I'm no expert).

[ QUOTE ]
It would also be cool if I can get everything from one store - like a CostCo or similar.

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen boxed wine at Costco but there is always hope [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick