Thread: stud8 big pairs
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: stud8 big pairs

I would have posted these in separate threads:

First hand: the limp/raise could mean rolled trips or three small spades. The latter could have other possibilities such as 876[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 85A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. With two Nines and a Five out, he probably shouldn't raise the former, and the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] shows on fifth which eliminates the latter. Also, he could be clueless, which is pretty likely at this level. I'm not ready to give him credit for a huge hand yet.

The fact that he's willing to three-bet against your superior board on fourth does point to a big hand--rolled trips, the other two Aces. Either that or brain damage. I'm OK with calling and evaluating on fifth.

On fifth you've got Aces with a good low draw. The other guy could have trips, which leaves you about a 2:1 dog in equity. If he did start with two small spades in the hole, they almost have to be 64[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You can account for all the other small spades except the Deuce, and he probably wouldn't have three-bet fourth with (6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], right? Anyway, against 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], you're a small dog. Against pretty much anything else, you're at least a small favorite. I think you pretty much have to be a favorite against his range. Raise at least once. I think the raise on the river is good, especially since he can't re-raise. When many players get almost all-in, they develop a "screw it" mentality.

Second hand: raise fourth to knock out the "inferior" low hand. Everything else looks good. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] seat 2.