View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 AM

Default Re: \"Fixing\" college football -- let\'s see your solution

[ QUOTE ]
Well, i would be a fan of a 16 team, 11 conf champs...

so there is no reason that the big schools can't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of reasons, you just don't agree with them.

Why should an 8-3 MAC or CUSA champ get an autobid over a better 11-1 PSU or USC or Texas team? Which conf champ - regular season or conf playoff winner?

The current system is much better. Unlike the old days, computer rankings are used. The combination of humans and data has worked well.
List of prior champs:
FSU
Okla
Miami
Ohio
LSU
USC
Texas
Florida.

Nobody thinks Boise was better than Fla last year. No one thought anyone was better than Okla or Miami or Texas or etc.

The system works. Making the reg season meaningless so some 8-3 MAC team or 9-2 Big East team only has to get hot for 4 weeks over holidays is not an improvement.

After all, if you wanted a real, comprehensive playoff, you'd include 128 teams. Is that better?

Is making fans travel 4x to 4 diff playoff games, to Boise, Birmingham, Miami, and Arizona during finals weeks and holidays a good thing? I say no. You can disagree, but it's all hot air unless College Presidents decide they want one. They do not.

And the other 30 bowls that wouldn't host the title game would be legitimately devalued. Saying no one cares about Tenn v PSU last year is simply wrong. But changing to a 'playoff bowl' v 'meaningless bowl' system reduces interest and lowers revenues.

I am a huge cfb fan. I love the current system.