Thread: Wal-Mart
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Wal-Mart

I saw the documentary on cable.

I don't have a problem with a well run company expanding huge in the name of profits. I don't necessarily have a big problem with them using economic strategy regarding small towns and small businesses. Them getting government subsidies to build new stores? Very unfair, but that's business I guess. All the pollution penalties they were levied? Obviously the penalties aren't high enough to deter Walmart, since they make so much.

The major thing I saw wrong, if true, is their manipulation of their current workers, and sexist policies.

From the documentary, a worker is told that she has 5 baskets of clothes or whatever that need to be put back. She is 30 minutes or so until the end of her shift. WalMart tells her there is absolutely no overtime, but the clothes need to go back. So she basically works "for free" for fear of losing her job. Yes, if she hates her job and is treated like crap, she should quit. But the corporation is at fault here. And as said before, if WalMart is in your small town, there might not be many other jobs available.

The part about the sexism with regards to promotions and treatment could be from how the documentary portrayed it. Obviously it's hard to prove in the movie, as lots of factors weigh in for promotions and the like. So I'm not too moved by this part, but I am skeptical.

I think the documentary was well made, but it obviously had an agenda, so I had to take it with a grain of salt. The part about the crime in their parking lots didn't faze me (except if they had all these cameras going to a room with tvs but no one recording or watching them). The uber-anti union responses by Walmart seems overkill and predatory (and funny with their anti-union videos).

I choose not to shop at Walmart, really for none of these reasons though. As others have mentioned, I just don't like it there. I have seen the unhappiness in most of their employees, so interactions with a Walmart employee is rarely helpful or cheerful. I rarely ever need to buy so much stuff to fully utilize the convenience of their selection and availability. I find their places dirty and super crowded. And their products for the most part, are of low quality.

They obviously cater to the low income shoppers. And they sometimes don't have a choice in shopping; lowest price wins. And as such, Walmart wins.