Thread: Wal-Mart
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Wal-Mart

[ QUOTE ]

I am just going by what he told me, and my less than perfect memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. $2400/year is insanely high, though.

[ QUOTE ]
I bashed very specifically into the UFCW and AFI. I did say that unions are obsolete for the fact that the country has caught up, and surpassed, the thinking that created them in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not intimately familiar with the two unions you mentioned, so I can't comment on their policies. If you've got examples of how they're harming their workers, I'd be glad to hear them. I'm not saying that the history of organized labor is lily-white, but I can't imagine where this country would be had it not been for the original men and women who fought and sometimes died for their rights.

[ QUOTE ]

I think that both sides of the argument have their good point. Take, for example, the Dockworker's strike. It is no doubt that these people are very powerful. That this entity can sever all imports has allowed the employees to make more than six-figures. But there is no denying that the port companies are willing to cut workers pay. Look at the truck driver's, classified as owner operators, that earn 12 per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The workers possessed a skill that was desirable. They held out for what they thought was right, and settled somewhere in the middle. Nobody WANTS to strike. They sustained short-term losses for what they felt were long-term gains.

[ QUOTE ]

I once worked in the construction trade.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should go back. It's booming!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

I have seen that the construction union has managed to suficate itself. That they are requiring people to earn over 30, while there is a push to have employees work for less than minimum wage, is creating a bad work environment. The union workers are losing jobs left and right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure where you live, but for the great majority of the U.S. and Canada this simply isn't true. Take for example the pipefitters & welders. There is such a scarcity of qualified welders right now that demand for their services is through the roof. Can't weld? Go swing a hammer for FEMA down south. Carpenters are making tons of money down there.

[ QUOTE ]
There is no reason why an uneducated dingo pushing a broom should start at 20 and hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the dingo in question finds someone willing to pay him that, why shouldn't he take it? Should he volunteer to return some of the money?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe in the extremes of one opinion or the other for the unions. There needs to be a balance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Unlike many, I tend to tip the scales towards the labor side of the equation. To each their own, though.