View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Politicians For and Against Online Poker, August 29, 2007

I just got a snail mail letter back from my congressman. It was hand signed too (not by computer, but an actual blue marker). Not sure if that is normal.

Dear XXXX:

Thank you for contacting me regarding you support of Internet gambling. I appreciate you making me aware of your views on the issue.

Last year I voted against legislation to restrict Internet gambling at the federal level because I do not believe the federal government should regulate interstate or international gambling that takes place over the internet. This provision was later included in a larger port security bill, which passed by a large margin. The legality and regulation of gambling is first and foremost a matter of state law that varies considerably from state to state.

While I do not serve on the House Energe and Commerce Committee, which has jurisdiction over legislation relating to the regulation of internet gambling, you may be certain that I will keep your concerns in mind should further legislation regarding this matter come before the full House of Representatives for a vote.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on any matter of importance to you.

Sincerely, Doc Hastings

Hastings is currently an A-.