View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Good, Deep, Fantasy/Sci-Fi Series (for Older Readers)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dan Simmons has been mentioned, but not "Hyperion" or the three sequels. I remember liking all of them, but it could be because I don't go to church.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Hyperion was good, if not strange. The sequel/2nd half was slightly worse and I couldn't tolerate the next one.

Terry Goodkind's first book was [censored] horrible nad hackish and had a weird chapter long S&M bit that was staggeringly out of place. Just trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, this is my favorite series. The first one is good and the 2nd takes off from that. The 3rd and 4th books go together in the same way, but aren't really sequels. But by not reading them you really missed out on how well everything goes together. It was obvious by the end of the last book that he knew the entire story before even writing the first book.

I can't suggest these books enough. Very good, very deep in politics, religion & literature and by the end really gets you thinking. Epic and great and I have to say that if you read one and don't read them all you are missing out on a lot of the story.

This thread has inspired me to read these again.

[/ QUOTE ]

The third book imo amounted to a very long chase scene, but it was worth it to get to the last one.