View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: This time last year....

okay psycho sniper:

i ran hot on stake late 06 and early 07, make around 25k which is nice and pays for everything i need the following year

then for 5 months i break even. very frustrating as i lose a grip on 5/10 and 3/6 NL which was my bread and butter. i play smaller, win, player bigger and lose what i won. roller coaster over and over and over again.

but games are getting harder and I'm not getting better. i win some tournaments pre vegas, which pays for vegas. i go breakeven in vegas. this becomes an annoying trend of breaking even.

i learn PLO and begin to make lots after vegas, focusing on PLO and tournaments having given up on NL cash. i use the profit shortly after vegas for a turning stone donkament trip and end up not playing many live donkaments.

the sunday of that TS trip i finish 2nd in the FTOPS main event for $240k, losing a coinflip for the win essentially.

this gets me $120k since i was backed, so now i am nicely set for a while. i continue with PLO as my bread and butter and tournaments sporadically. everything from ftops is going toward future condo / car / savings / insurance so i'm continuing to play backed for the time being until I can build my own mid five fig bankroll and then take shots at bigger games. right now i am content killing 2/4 and 3/6 and running good at tournaments.

patience was very big for me. for all of summer i could never get anything together and got very frustrated. during that time i learned more about myself than any other, and being resilient has made me that much stronger a player today.

in one year my game has improved so very much, and my mental strength with poker (playing not tilted, not making dumb plays) has skyrocketed.

if i can find a way to motivate myself, i do not think 500k is unreasonable for the next 12 months. unfortunately motivating myself to put in more hours has been the hardest part. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]