View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Post College-getting a menial PT sales/retail job to meet people

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But anyway, these guys were always poor and always bitched about money, yet were too stupid to work on a day that they were getting paid double time. Then, if they really wanted a day off, take the next day off where you're just making straight time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know if this occured to you, but you are not required to be at work on sunday. if you want to miss a monday, you have to use sick time or vacation time, and if you are in the habit of taking mondays off after working on sunday, your boss is going to notice and you're going to have a problem.

but these guys are too dumb to realize this, being union guys and all, so i'm sure they were just being lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I have already said, we're in two different worlds here so what I said to you doesn't fit for you, and what you're saying to me doesn't fit for me.

There's no sick day or vacation time, just as there's no boss that will fire you for not coming to work. Either you show up and you get paid or you don't show up and you don't get paid. They're pretty much the true definition of a temp.

So when you need money to survive, as you're complaining about how much money you owe, how you can't pay your bills, how you lost your car, and then you don't show a day that you're making double time because you wanted to sit at home and drink beer all day, that constitutes as being stupid. If you want a 5 day work week, work Saturday through Thursday, that's just common sense.

I've worked with a lot of different labor unions in a lot of different areas and a lot of different states and you get the same thing no matter where you go. I'd say about 2 or 3 out of every 10 are good workers who are quite knowledgable and trying to better themselves, while the other 7 are just there to do the bare minimum they can possibly do to get paid so they have money to take to the bar.

--------

For the record, there's no way in hell I wanted to work that job. My company handled the construction monitoring of this project and I got stuck on it after one of our employees got booted off the site for hitting on an operator.

That project is actually what cracked me and led me to say screw this bullcrap and move to Cali.