View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Goose\'s Olympic/Powerlifting log

First class is over, didn't really learn anything. It was an "assessment" of our skills, how much we could lift, how long we've been lifting for etc.

Trainer seemed pretty competent. Although his lifts weren't terribly impressive, he seemed to know what he was talking about and made minor corrections to my squat and deadlift form. We also started to work on developping arches for the bench, not too much success there for me yet.

Here's a breakdown of the program (2 sessions per week)

Week 1: Assessment and introduction to the big 3 powerlifting lifts.

Week 2: Beginner powerlifting training

Week 3: Advanced powerlifting training

Week 4: Introduction to weightlifting (clean and jerk/snatch). Focus will be on the different components of the lifts.

Week 5: Training all the components learned in week 4.

Week 6: Training full lifts

Week 7: Begin training for a competition held in week 10 (how a real athlete would prepare)

Week 8: Second phase of competition training

Week 9: Getting body optimally conditioned for for lifting at full potential in competition.

Week 10: Mock competition

So far there are 5 people signed up for the class, which is a pretty good number in terms of hands-on time with the trainer. I feel I should be able to improve quite a bit, though I'm still skeptical. There probably won't be any videos until he starts showing us the proper form for full olympic lifts (week 4-5).