View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 PM

Default Re: What\'s with the no kids guilt trip?

[ QUOTE ]
renodoc,

You sound like every other parent I meet. Today is my daughter's 18th birthday, but I have never once in my life told anyone that she was the smartest or the best looking in her class, or bored anyone with stories about how great she is, or propped up my fragile ego with her accomplishments. Just because I had a kid doesn't mean I have to drive a minivan, coach soccer, worship the little crayon Jackson Pollocks on the refrigerator, or go around thinking that I'm the God of parenting because my kid passed the first grade and covers her mouth when she sneezes. I love her to death and she knows that but I hate groupthink and I won't participate in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

(4yo)Amplette: "Daddy, look what I made"

Amplify: "What, it's just a bunch of scribbly crayons"

Amplette: "Can I hang it on the fridge so mommy can see?"

Amplify: "No"

Amplette: "Because why?"

Amplify: "We are non-conformists. So bring me all your crayons and coloring books. You have to learn to be dynamic in a static world."

Amplette: "But I'm 4, and all the other kids..."

Amplify: "All the other kids suffer delusions! Riding in minivans, watching their dvds, playing their games...Repugnant! No daughter of mine will be so conditioned and preordained!"

Her little lower lip quivering, Amplette tries to hold back tears and be strong for daddy...alas, one escapes! It falls upon the disdained "Jackson Pollock" she holds with white knuckles. Pecking away at some message board, Amplify doesn't notice his daughter leave the room.

Years pass. The parenting revolution is at hand. It's chief proponent pecks away at some message board assailing the "groupthink" mentality when he knocks over the last of his Wild Turkey. "[censored] [censored] damn it!"

Disheveled, smelly and alone, Amplify makes his way to the corner market. But on this day a memory is ignited. Across the street on display in the windows of the High Museum of Art...a drawing. Scribbly crayons with a single smudge.