View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: renting vs living at home?

problem is i guess living at home is alright, its not that bad really, so if i were to move out i'd want to move out somewhere nice. but london is just so expensive.

in london 100k after 3 years (or 3.5 years if you failed one of the exams and have to resit) is pretty realistic if you go into banking, if you go into industry your looking more at 80-85k. but then with banking your working longer hours.

$2.5k renting would be the max, then expenses on top of that.

i dunno, just i feel right now i feel 2 things:

1. i'm not really getting any enjoyment out of having this money i've spent years grinding. for sure it's meant ive had a huge amount of fun on nights/meals out etc the last few years, but now i dunno, i just feel i should do something with it which gives me utility.

2. i'd like to think that in ten years time the $30k spent on rent per year would not be toooo much compared with how much i had. and maybe i'd look back and think 'geez, why didnt you spend this money on renting a nice place rather than staying at home'. same kind of reasoning why loaning money for a tv is wiser than saving up for it, as you'll have the utility both present and in future and pay it over time, rather than only having utility in the future when you have saved up for it.