View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 03:06 PM

Default pocket overpair vs a set?

I have a real problem getting away from an overpair with a seemingly harmless flop. For example, its the beginning of a sng - low blinds - everyone about equal chipstacks. I pick up a pocket pair, kings, and raise 4x's the bb. There is only one caller, on the button (I am in the cutoff).

Flop comes rainbow, 2, 6, J. I bet half the pot, the cutoff raises me. What to do? I reraise all in (calling his raise commits half of my stack anyway) and he has a set of deuces. I am out. Is there anyway to get away from an overpair when the flop is not connected or suited? I thought for a bit, and figured, he could easily have AK and think I didn't connect, or AJ and have just hit top pair. He also could hold qq.

This was a low limit online sng (30 buy in) btw. I am new to poker (obviously) and don't know what to do with these situations. I figured odds wise, the only hands that could beat me would be if he smooth called aces, or had a set. A draw was not possible, and two pair was all but impossible with that flop. Any help is appreciated.