View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: renting vs living at home?

i dont think here in the uk we have any month rent qualifing system, if we do i could just pay it all up front.

i agree bigpoppa, it is pretty insane. just what would i be saving for? if all goes according to plan ill be on £100k plus for most of my 30s (if im still alive), so will £15.6K in rent really matter that much? (obv plus council tax, bills, food etc but you get my drift i imagine)

just given house prices in london, i wont be able to buy anywhere for about 3 years likely (if that) so part of me is tempted just to rent for 3 years, work abroad (which i def want to do, possibly secondment with big4 firm if i am still willing to stay there, if not work for a different firm). then buy something then, when hopefully i'd be on about £70k (in todays terms), i could get a £280k mortgage, i'd have around £150k saved up i'd hope, and so can buy somewhere pretty nice.

it would be useful if i had a few friends who would be interested in renting somewhere really pretty nice, but most of my friends, like anyone in there early to mid 20s are all pretty skint.

ideally some investor (anyone here? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) would go halves with me on a 2 bedroom property. I pay half and they pay half. I live rent free, they get all the other person's rent.

anyone interested? enjoying london property rises, guarenteed great tenants (given id be part owner) and never having to worry about the property.

I'd be able to put up £160k or so, if someone else did the same we could get a nice 2 bedroom place i think.