View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: 2+2 wine dinner we had awhile ago, i want to do another one

Rick, I kid you not - I wish your assertion that 2 Buck Chuck and the like taste just as good as more expensive stuff were true since it would save me a lot of money. This includes my experiences at blind tastings, where labels such as Yellow Tail, Barefoot and the like did not fare well against more expensive competition. I have never had a taste of 2BC that was more than marginally drinkable, and believe me I went in with an open mind. That's not to say that the expensive wines always perform like they should, but when better wines are hitting on all cylinders there's no way the cheap stuff can compare with rare exceptions.

That being said it would not be wise to completely dismiss inexpensive labels. I adore Muscadet from the Loire, often found for $7-12, Chateau St. Michelle made a Riesling in 2004 for $4.99 that was very tasty and drinkable, there are Cote du Rhones for under $12, Costco has had some Baumard Savennieres for under $15, Buller Rare Muscat for $10-15 in the half bottle, the list goes on. Nonetheless I personally find the wine performance sweet spot for me is in the $25-$75 per bottle range. That's where I can most often find world class performance without having to pay world class prices.