View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Extreme difficulty remembering names...

"Common advice" doesn't work for guys like OP and me. I've tried every trick in the book. Nothing.

Same thing with faces. People will disappointed that I don't remember them. I'm talking about people I went to school with for 12 years! I see them three years later, and I know that I'm SUPPOSED to know who they are. Sometimes I remember the face, and not the name. Sometimes, the face escapes me as well.

At my Dad's funeral, a man approached me and offered his condolences. I asked him, "Have we met?" It was a cousin I was very close with all my life. I hadn't seen him in about ten years, and he had shaved his head.

Now here's the interesting part: as soon as he spoke (to exclaim, "WTF?"), I instantly recognized his VOICE, and knew immediately who he was.

This happens a lot. Someone will be sad that I don't acknowledge them, but as soon as they speak, I suddenly recall everything about them.

For this reason, I have a theory: there's something wrong with the part of my brain that stores this info. The part of my brain that recalls voices works. When I finally figure out who the person standing in front of me is, I have no problem recalling--instantly--everything I've ever known about this person. But I'll never recall their name without help, and usually be unable to recall their face.

I'm a balls-out genius. I've never scored less than 146 in any IQ test I've ever taken, and I can recall copious amounts of trivia. There's nothing wrong with my brain, except for the names/faces part. So that's my theory--there's something wrong with a small part of our brains.

I have a hunch that this is more common among folks with high IQ's. I don't know how Einstein was with names, but I know that his closet was full of identical shoes, and identical suits, because he could not recall what outfit he had worn the day before.

Or, I have another theory: I know that I'm never comfortable being introduced to people. I have absolutely no idea why this is. I meet people all the time, and it's no sweat. But when there's an introduction involved--the exchange of names and a handshake--I crumble. I have difficulty making eye contact, I fret about how well I shake hands with people, the whole thing is just an uncomfortable ordeal that I wish was over already! What's your name? Who gives a [censored]! Just let this awkward introduction be over with already!!!