View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: What kind of impact have we been having on members of Congress

[ QUOTE ]
I've just started reaching out to friends on the hill in staff positions. I wanted to have something of a firm grasp of the issues before making those calls. Got a good education here....

So far your impression that there is some visibility but they are in a wait and see mode seems valid. The lack of traction for Fletcher in KY with his stance seems to be the short term focus on the hill in this regard.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really want to derail this thread, but I was struck by your last comment regarding hill folks taking a wait-n-see on gambling matters until KY Governors race clears up (at least that's how i read it).

To me, that doesn't make any sense.

Fletcher has been in big trouble for a very long time. His poll numbers and approval ratings have been in the dumps for well over a year, perhaps longer. Using the KY race to bellweather the mood of the country on gambling issues seems like a basic flaw.

Yes, Fletcher has attempted to reframe the race about anti-gambling--but I haven't seen evidence that his plan is working. I'd be interested in seeing a full poll to see if they fleshed out that a bit more in the responses, but this election is about his record in the office. He's trying to run away from that given the public's view of his pardons and other (lesser) political errors.

From my perspective, using a Fletcher defeat to somehow point to a "hey, look at this example--gambling is popular" or anything remotely similar is not accurate.

It is probably nice that there is a major political election that is bringing the discussion up, but why any hill folks (or otherwise) would base their legislative agenda around how it turns out is poor judgement.