Thread: 2 Q9 hands
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Re: 2 Q9 hands

I'm still learning 6max, so I'm not completely sure if it's "correct" to call a raise with Q9o.

Looking back, it was probably a mistake in this instance given that the raise came from the BB.

You're right, it's a RIO nightmare. It's impossible to play effectively after the flop OOP.

When you flop a middle pair and are staring at 3 other players, how on earth can you figure out the best line?
It's not as easy a decision as is in full ring, where a middle pair is usually dead multiway. Middle pair surprisingly holds up well in these games. I can't tell you how many times I've called a raise with something like QJs, the flop comes AJx. I peel and brick, then fold. A calling station looks the raiser up and takes it down with 9J against the raiser's 77.

I know I'm being a little results oriented, but I've seen some marginal hands take it down in raised pots.

Obviously, you need to have a stone solid read on your opponent to play these hands profitably. If he's the type to brick off with middle pockets on a board that has an A or paint, you could look up him.