View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 07:57 AM

Default 2+2 wine dinner we had awhile ago, i want to do another one

but with less people maybe? or more could be fine too? regular tasting dinners in san diego or oc would be fine too... who likes wine?

this dinner had guests: JA sucker, death donkey andy fox joe tall gabe brad l provacateur josh w many others but i forget because im really tired right now. i set it all up found all the wine online, etc. it was like 400 a person, it was a little too much wine to be honest. it was at campanile in la upstairs in their private dining room like a month ago. here are my tasting notes

group of poker friends had dinner and tasted these wines i had selected and brought along. most wines were decanted a few hours in advance of dinner.

1st course whites with lobster and corn chowder

2001 Sine Qua Non Albino huge thick mouthfeel which was a little off putting for a white, nose didnt give much except standard roussanne aromas. musty maybe a little faded, a little mushroom and soil which was surprising, coconut oil. good but a little strange. 89
1997 Pahlmeyer Chardonnay Sonoma Coast burnt almond on nose, hazlenuts and ripe apple flavors, lovely wine 92

seared breast of duck on a crouton with summer truffle

this dish was particularly amazing as were the pinots...

2000 Sine Qua Non Pinot Noir A Cappella unreal amazing mouthfeel lush long long finish, the flavor is an elegant bowful of cherries very extracted and sweet and sour but not fake. wotn for me. 96
2001 Kistler Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast anisette peppermint nose, wine is hot in a good way with killer finish 93
2003 Longoria Pinot Noir Fe Ciega a little mud and stone surprised me otherwise traditional pinot that was outclassed by the other pinots of the night. 90

saffron rositto and foie gras

1997 Barossa Valley Estate Shiraz E & E Black Pepper candy cane nose, complex, giant grip, big! 94
2001 Sine Qua Non Midnight Oil slight bit of honey on the nose (??) good grip and thick of course but too hot. very extracted but boring in a way and not complex. not bad by any means but definitely disappointing. 90

tenderloin of wild boar crisp sweetbreads and leek fondue

2002 Blankiet Estate Merlot Paradise Hills Vineyard pomegranate on the nose. lovely but not of the caliber of the other wines or the price. 90
2001 Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red graceful smooth clean tastes like it's been aged longer. a really smooth soft red with lasting finish 93
1997 Harlan Estate The Maiden beautiful very well balanced 91+
1985 Heitz Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Martha's Vineyard red wine vinegar on the nose, standard oak and cab flavors but very smooth and clean and balanced with good finish. 92

cheese course, three cheeses

palette is near destroyed at this point...

2004 Sine Qua Non Into the Dark Grenache sweet and overextracted as advertised. getting a little bored with this style. the lil e by sqn was more complex and satisfying. 90
2001 Martinelli Zinfandel Jackass Vineyard fairly standard zin, lost in the mix after so many wines 89

dessert

1983 Baumann Oppenheimer Sackträger Riesling Auslese old soil and apple sweet and subtle, pretty amazing 95
1997 Franz Karl Schmitt Niersteiner Pettenthal Riesling Auslese dry apple very pale color, smooth finish not cloyingly sweet very good 92+

too many wines for us noobs, palettes were thrashed by the end.