Thread: Buy ins?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Buy ins?

[ QUOTE ]
Since my bank-roll is only about $85 right now, I'm probably going to drop my buy in to 80x the BB, so it gives me 10 buy-ins. I've tried going with the "min" buy in, but those BBs catch up to you way too fast [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
First, bankroll management is for winning players. If you don't have an established track record as a winning player, you should be setting a budget, not worrying about bankroll management.

Second, if you are a solid winning player, 20 buy-ins is far more conservative than the 300 BB guideline. These are repeated at the same time by people who don't understand the theory of bankroll management, but they are very different. The proper analogue of 300 BB in low stakes games may be about 10-12 buy-ins.

No fixed number of buy-ins is appropriate. The bankroll you need depends on your win rate, and win rates tend to be much higher in softer lower stakes games than in tougher higher stakes games. So, an expert might be as safe with 8 buy-ins in a soft game as with 40 buy-ins in a tough game. As you move up, you should expect that you will need more buy-ins. As your game improves while you stay at a fixed stake, you will require fewer buy-ins to be safe.

Third, it is much more dangerous to buy in short for 5% of your bankroll than to buy in for 200 times the big blind for 5% of your bankroll. It is much more common for you to get all-in when you have a shorter stack, and an expert will have a lower advantage on average while risking a short stack than with a deep stack. So, you are applying the "20 buy-in" guess out of context when you buy in short.

The FAQs are not clear enough about bankroll management. I intend to fix that.