View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: NL10 - AKs vs 3 calling stations

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) I have just TPTK in a biggish multiway pot. My hand is not that strong and I cannot call if I get rearaised behind. I decided on the turn, I wanted to try and get a cheap showdown with a hand that certainly had showdown value.

2)To get maximum value - What hands are going to call a raise on the turn ? Answer - AQ, A3, A5, Q5, Q3, and any set obviously. And what hands are going to fold? Answer any single pair lower than mine or worse. So a raise here is pretty -EV IMO

[/ QUOTE ]
It's true that you cannot call if reraised; these are passive calling stations and if they raise then you know you're beat and can safely fold. Getting to a cheap showdown against tricky, aggressive, good players is fine with TPTK but against calling stations you need to value bet, value bet, and value bet.

The correct play is to raise large on the turn. You'll most likely fold the button, gaining you position. You'll also protect your hand, gain value from it, and define it all in one bet. True, you might fold everyone, but if a single player calls your raise you'll make more than if everyone calls a weak bet on the river. Assuming you get a call....

[/ QUOTE ]

If I get a call, I am beat, it's as simple as that, and now I am beat in a large pot with just a single pair.

Someone else mentioned I should raise with AKo to get it heads up. Well that's what I did preflop and 3 decided to come along for the flop. Not much I can do about it, but to raise again vs 3 villains who could have any 2 cards just to narrow the field is a leak IMO

Am I the only one who thinks applying pot control is the right move with just TPTK in a biggish 3-way pot ?