View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Hire personal trainer?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are describing what is wrong with the industry, not what people don't understand.

The fact that folks have medical problems, sedentary, etc. determines to a large a degree what trainers do with healthy people due to various trainer certification programs.

This is taking the wrong lesson and misapplying it, as those in poor health, sedentary, etc., are precisely the audience to learn the bio-mechanically correct way to lift something off the ground, stand-up/sit down, pull on something, push on something, push it or pull it from over their heads.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood what my point was. My point was that the ultimate goal is to make these sedentary clients lead more functional lifestyles. The point i was trying to get across is that deadlifts, benchpress and squats are not the correct exercises to put a beginner on which 90% of personal training clients are. It takes a while to get beginners aclimated to a training program before you even think about moving them to a squat rack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I understand your point and disagree. These are people that need to squat so that they can stand up and sit down correctly. There's enormous transfer to these skills. This is functionality. That I say "squat", and you hear "power cage or ATG or put another wheel on"-- that's your problem. Likewise with the deadlift. The fact that they don't have the ROM to do a squat will never be overcome by handing them a 2# dumbbell.

edit: Moreover. Here we are talking about training for healthy folks, and I find it telling that you want to discuss how folks don't understand the centrality of the infirm to the process.