View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: General Music Discussion Thread (a.k.a. indie lovefest)

[ QUOTE ]
Just got back from the National/St. Vincent show.

St. Vincent: Let me preface this by saying Marry Me is in first place on my most-listened to albums on last.fm. I really really love that album.

Anyway, it was just her by herself with a guitar (well, like 4, but only one at a time ldo), some kind of sample-playing machine thing that she kept hitting with a stick, two microphones (one normal, one fuzzy-sounding), and a s-load of various effects pedals. It was pretty crazy watching her keep up with everything, but honestly it might have been a better show if she had a full band with her.

Most of the songs sounded almost nothing like they do on the album because of the limited instrumentation, but she did a really good job with it. She did a cool cover of Dig a Pony too, which definitely pleased my Beatles-loving girlfriend.

The National was [censored] awesome live. Way better than I thought they'd be. They jammed a lot more live than they do on their albums, which was cool. The frontman is way too pretty to have such a cool voice. He should be some grizzled-looking mofo IMO.

Anyway, I give the show an A- all in all, and as awesome as I'm sure they were, I don't really regret skipping Wilco.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hot. Good to hear. St. Vincent plays here* at 4 PM and that's some good incentive to check her out.

On a side note, Peter Bjorn & John closed their set yesterday with a cover of "Ever Fallen in Love?" That was the highlight of the day (until the Bjork show).

(* "here" = "Austin City Limits festival")