View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Friend that\'s a girl expects me to pay for drinks, awkwardness ensues.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, so as documented in a previous thread, I recently broke up with my fiance, and as such I'm stuck with an apartment that's far beyond my means. I'm paying ~53% of my take-home income on the apartment, and that's without utilities, cable, etc.

Anyway, bottom line is I'm pretty poor for the time being. A girl who was fired from my company about a month ago e-mailed me asking if I wanted to go to happy hour. I work in the financial district in NYC, which is a pretty expensive place to go out. And let me note - I'm not interested in this girl physically whatsoever.

So we meet up for happy hour, get about four rounds and some food. I ask her if we should get the check, she says yeah, but maybe we can stop somewhere on the way home, and she'll buy me a drink. This might not come across that well in type, but she was basically insinuating that she expects me to pick up this bill (which is about $80).

I sit there for about a minute, because I don't know how to react. Do I just eat it and pay the bill? Or do I say something?

Eventually I say, "Oh, I can't let you pick up both tabs. It was kind enough for you to invite me out to drinks. I insist that I get the tab for a drink on the way home?"

And then basically it's really awkward for her...

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your situation...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is brilliant.