View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 01:36 AM

Default Re: How should a sociaty deal with drugs?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Societies don't act. Once you accept that, the answer should be fairly intuitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, stupid of me, if you were to deal with drugs in the current society, what would you wish and for what reasons?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea how to "deal with drugs in the current society". I don't interact with "society" I interact with people. This question makes no more sense to me then asking me how I would deal with golf equipment in the current society.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've been over this, when a group of people act with a common goal, it's a semantic argument to say either "a bunch of individuals acted" or "A group acted".

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's more than that. It's a sloppy shortcut that masks *important* details. It hides the fact that there is coercive interaction going on. Saying something like "Bob doesn't like drugs" is one thing - bob has his own opinion. Saying "society doesn't like drugs" is another - some people in that society may LIKE drugs, even if they are a minority. The serious problem comes in when "society" then DOES THINGS using "society's opinion" as a motivation, or worse, as a justification. The fact that "society likes blue and hates red" doesn't mean people who happen to disagree with the hivemind lose their right to enjoy red.

[ QUOTE ]
That said, drugs are only an issue as long as there's a welfare state. If I have to pay for your healthcare then I have a right to tell you what you put in your body.

[/ QUOTE ]

False. Two wrongs don't make a right. If I force you to accept a Picasso, do I suddenly have a right to dictate to you how you display it, what security arrangements you must make, etc? It's costing me a lot of money to do this for you!!!