View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Yeah So I wont be Dinking and driving anymore

[ QUOTE ]
Japans new DUI Laws are insane.

1. Driving Under the Influence, BAC .08 or higher
Previous maximum sentence: Imprisonment with hard labor not to exceed 3 years or a fine not exceeding 500,000 yen
New maximum: Imprisonment with hard labor not to exceed 5 years or fine not exceeding 1,000,000 yen.
2. Driving While Impaired, BAC .03 to .79
Previous maximum sentence: Imprisonment with hard labor not to exceed 1 year or a fine not exceeding 300,000 yen
New maximum: Imprisonment with hard labor not to exceed 3 years or a fine not exceeding 500,000 yen
3. Providing an intoxicated person with a vehicle (new law)
Maximum sentence: Same punishment as a drunken driver receives shall be applied.
4. Providing a person with alcohol who subsequently gets a DUI or DWI (new law)
Maximum sentence: Imprisonment with hard labor not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding 500,000 yen for DUI; 2 years imprisonment, 300,000 yen fine for DWI
5. Riding as passengers in a vehicle operated by an intoxicated person (new law)
Maximum sentence: Imprisonment with hard labor not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding 500,000 yen for DUI; 2 years imprisonment, 300,000 yen fine for DWI
6. Rejecting balloon (sobriety) test
Previous maximum punishment: Fine not exceeding 300,000 yen
New maximum: Confinement not exceeding 3 months or fine not exceeding 500,000 yen
7. Hit and run
Previous maximum sentence: Confinement not exceeding 5 years or fine not exceeding 500,000 yen
New maximum: Confinement not exceeding 10 years or fine not exceeding 1,000,000 yen

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
They should do this in America too.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who has lost three family members to drunk drivers, Japans law's (And America's) seem very weak.

In RebelRebel's world, 1-6 would be about the same, except change Yen to $$.

Also, #7 would be about double, and if you kill someone in a drunk driving accident, you should be treated the same way as if you put a gun to their head and pulled the trigger, as it is the same crime.

FWIW, whenever I see a driver weaving, I pull up in my SUV and attempt to run them into a ditch.