View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Small Stakes Hold\'em (Skalnsky, Miller & co)

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, it has really helped my game, especially live. SSHE is not for new players. They assume you already know how to play... the tactics help you improve your expected value in a variety of situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also add that this book is not only not for beginners, but is an advanced book -- more advanced than "Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players." SSHE introduces advanced concepts about a very specific type of game, whereas HEPAP covers a variety of advanced topics. It is also a dangerous book if incorrectly applied. The concepts in it are very difficult, and cannot be applied selectively (without a very good understanding of what you are doing).

I made the mistake of reading SSHE first, thinking it was less "advanced." I did not understand much of what I read to the degree I needed to in order to bet money on my skills. I recognized my mistake (and holes in my game), and after gaining more experience and reading other books (such as HEPAP), I am now re-reading SSHE. I find the concepts resonate much better with me, especially in the context of the knowledge I gained between readings.