View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: 2008 Presidential Primaries

[ QUOTE ]
I believe our best approach (in the Republican primary) is to support the federalist candidate. Thompson has already seperated himself from FoF by saying that he personally opposes gay marriage but does not feel that the Federal Govt. should be the ones legislating it. It should be left up to the states. I honestly believe that he will take the same approach to gaming. He seems to be the only true "small government" candidate that has a real shot at the nomination.

Here is a good explanation of his idea of federalism:
Thompson on Federalism

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. I made a similar point a few posts ago as well.

Basically, Ron Paul will have to move up to over 10% before he moves from a protest vote to a candidate to consider backing (IMHO), as I mentioned earlier. Giuliani is a big-time statist who's good for us mainly to keep FoF at home and to change the Republican Party (just by being who he is). Many congressional races are within a couple of percentage points, so that is a really big factor that we shouldn't discount, especially if Clinton is the Dem. nominee. For for Thompson, I think he could become the best choice for us in the Republican primary if he chooses to say pretty much anything in our favor. That's up to him.

As for the Dems, it's starting to look like it won't matter. Clinton is building a huge lead, and it continues to grow. If Obama or Edwards gains traction, we may wish to vote for either of them simply because Clinton's high negatives will draw FoF-types to the polls just to vote against her (except possibly against Giuliani...I just don't see them voting for a thrice-married, pro-choice candidate, and they've said so pretty loudly so far).

Hopefully we'll learn more before the primaries, so we can make a wise choice in the voting booth. We have time....it's just time to start thinking about it.