View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: The 99 Preflop SB Debate

dtan, i just don't like the line of pf-raise, bet flop, check-call turn, check-call river. it's just seems to 'guessy' that you have not been able to work out his hand and just hope you have him beat. if the flop is draw heavy it's an okay line, but otherwise i think your too often paying off better hands and not getting anything when you have him marginally beat.

i dont think it makes us that vulnerable as we can then start limp-reraising trash, premium, and just messing with his head.

ikestoys, i understand your reasoning and agree that a mix of postflop plays based on history is the way to play 99 if you've raised preflop, i'd just rather limp and get a bit of action from low flopped pairs than having to choose between a variety of plays oop in a blinds hand when action could be on all 4 streets and come river 4 in 5 times i've got a mid pair.

agreed as well that villain's advantage of being able to pot size control given his positional advantage, but i feel that applies to when we have raised preflop, he can choose which hands to given action and which not to, whereas by betting religiously we are always giving action, and by not betting we are thus letting him control pot size.

either way, vs a smart good regular, position is crucial, so i don't see why i'd want to escalate a pot with what is 80% a pair of 9s.

99 looks great pf vs a random. it doesn't look so good when an good tricky player has called our flop bet or has lead out on the turn/river.

meh, maybe we have to ignore our hand and play with what we are representing, i think treating the hand as '99' is the problem. but that is far easier in position than oop, so hence i recently i have focused far more on position than (probably ever) before.