Thread: TLDR Beer Club
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Index Page 3

Alright, in continuing the series of follow up reviews, I got a bottle of Flying Dog's Double Dog, previously reviewed and enjoyed by RDH. I paid $2.85 for a 12 oz bottle of 10.5% beer, which is a little less expensive than the DFH 90, for a reference. I'm not going to bother w/ pics for this review. The beer pours a cloudy orange color without much head at all. There are actually little chunks of sediment floating around in it. I didn't expect this sort of beer to have sediment in it, so I guess I wasn't careful in pouring. The aroma is very appealing. It smells a little sweeter than the Hop Rod Rye, but the hop smells are perhaps a little more subdued. The flavor lets me down a little, though. There's a somewhat sweet malt up front, but that quickly gives way to a potent bitterness. I'm probably more picky about my strongly hopped beers than about any other variety, but this beer doesn't do it for me. It's missing the floral and citrus flavors I've enjoyed in the Bear Republic, the DFH 90, Stone Ruination, and other great imperial IPAs. I'm going to give this beer [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Miles might give it a 3.5, but this comes down to a personal preference, I suppose. It's a good beer that I'd expect hop heads to enjoy, but for me, there are others I like better. I prefer the Bear Republic Hop Rod, and it costs me less per oz.