View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Brand new to NL. - Is this standard?

The consensus (such as it is) appears to be that you should either bet bigger on the turn or not at all. And I can see that, as that turn card really kind of sucks for you.

A problem I see with a big turn bet as the last money in is that KQ is not going anywhere, and I'm not sure we can trust an unknown not to bet that hand if checked to on the river, either. Meanwhile, I doubt any better hand is giving us credit for AQ, so we're unlikely to have any folding equity either.

It's actually kind of hard for me to imagine a legitimate hand Villain could have on the flop that he'll now fold to a pot-sized turn bet (I guess AJ/AT, maybe, and both of those hands are drawing terribly against you). I guess, if we're contemplating a turn bet, the question becomes whether or not the bet is for value? Or maybe a big turn bet discourages Villain from doing anything tricky when checked to on the river?

Overall, I mainly just think this is a tough spot. I would probably check the turn and try to get to showdown, but I'm not really sure if that's the best plan or not.