View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: NL re-raise rule

[ QUOTE ]
But, please explain to me.
Exactly why is it that a half bet (usually) reopens the betting in Limit, but not in No Limit?
I know reopening the betting in NL can have much more of an effect than in Limit, but why allow a half bet to reopen the betting in Limit? If a NL bet of $100 is bumped all-in to $199, why doesn't that reopen the betting but $200 does (ie, please justify the rule, do not just say "it is the rule" ). Is it fundamental to "poker"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say it is because in NL increasing a $100 bet to $150 isn't that significant` of an increase because the players are aiming to win entire stacks of chips, but increasing a limit bet by half a bet is large because the players are aiming for a few bets at a time.

Rules like this aren't that big of a deal on there own, it is just that they are symptomatic of a general lack of experience that is going to show if a complex decision comes up. I have never seen a room that used half a bet to reopen in NL that didn't have other really serious problems.

I have no problem with places that make up their own rules, but when I have done this I have made sure that people knew it.