View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: AC Scenario

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this plausible?

Adolph Hitler III takes over ownership of ABC Defense, the largest defense company in AC Land. How would the market prevent him from turning the free society into a dictatorship?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there might be one little obstacle. It's hard to send people to die in the name and cause of "ABC Defense" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] You need a good propaganda machine to fight a war like that and I am not sure what random cause you could find.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok that's nonsense, plenty of non-state causes are out there. Religion is a good one ("Hey those guys pray to a different invisible guy...kill 'em") and any other rallying cry that groups people together (to fight another group) is possible.

It's a failing of our human minds, we'll do almost anything to "belong".

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you can, but it's hard for me to imagine people getting fanatical over a company religion, although stranger things have happened. I would imagine acts of terrorism to be more likely (a rogue violent group of nuts) Or maybe I'm not getting the scale of this. But I still think it'd be harder, not that it would make it any less painful

[/ QUOTE ]

That actually brings a focus on why I dont think it would be harder for the non-state group. It isn't very difficult at all to indoctrinate and instill fanaticism in a group. It happens frequently with sports teams, fraternities, start-up companies, and most importantly the military. Things have softened since my Army days, but the breakdown of the individual and formation of a fanatical "team" was extremely efficient. The problem a statist "takeover" would have is that the military is already indoctrinated with fighting for the country, and to get their cooperation in a coup would be much more difficult than indoctrinating a mercenary group with the same fanaticism, especially since many in an all volunteer state army are already predisposed to defending the country against individual threats.