View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However when reading the book I feel like I am being conveyed the message "all you have to do is to make sure to have correct SPR, then flop TP or overpair and bet pot until you are all-in".

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is what you got out of it you missed a lot of information and also probably have a reading comprehension issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it must be frustrating to Matt and Sunny to hear this sort of thing. Frankly I just don't understand it. I didn't get any such thing out of the book. I'm a little confused as to why there is so much of this kind of criticism. Enough people have said it, that there must have been something the authors could have done, in hindsight. And I know they have some ideas for improving it in Vol 2. But I certainly didn't have any such problem with the book. I suppose I chalk it up to preconceived notions, and trying to get something out of the book that isn't there.

This is basically a new way of thinking and looking at your NL cash hands. Even if some players already play this way intuitively, it's still the first time it's ever been in print. Isn't this enough to ask from a poker book?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to chime in here with you Jeff. I don't know where some of these comments come from. I have read the book twice and I don't know how some of these lessons are taken as absolutes or that matt, sunny,et al meant for them to be.

Here is a tool, this is how you use it. The tool works best in these situations, sometimes you have to dump the tool midway , and sometimes this tool is not right for the job. When you approach a job this is a very basic tool and you should evaluate if it should be used here before you do anything else. You may decide it doesn't apply here, or you may start with this tool uncertainly, but it will force you to think about the job and how you plan to tackle it, with this tool or any other.

That's the way I read it. They could be talking about spr, taking a hammer to any construction job, taking a basic scraper to a paint job, whatever. sometimes it's exactly what you need, sometimes part of what you need, sometimes it's not needed, but if you are gonna do this kind of work you should own this tool, know how to use it, and always have it with you.